Radiation, which is a special type of energy carried by waves and particles, is produced by special devices and propagated by radioactive materials. Thanks to this energy, it can be used in cancer treatments as well as imaging in medicine. Special devices are needed to direct radiation to diseased tissues. The use of high radiation energy with these devices to treat diseases is called radiotherapy, also known as radiation therapy. This procedure is used to shrink the tumor before surgery, to clean the microscopic cancer cells that may remain after the operation, as a treatment with chemotherapy without surgery, and to relieve pain and other discomfort. It is applied in two different ways, externally and internally. In most patients, this procedure is performed externally. With the help of the device, radiation is applied to the diseased tissue by sending it from outside in the form of rays.
Radiotherapy Treatment for Cancer
Radiotherapy is a method that enables cancer cells to be killed by applying radiation. This method can also be used in conjunction with other cancer treatment methods, surgery and chemotherapy. It can be used alone or it can be used together to reduce the mass before surgery and to completely remove the remaining microscopic parts of the mass after surgery. The type and course of treatment varies according to the age of the patient, general health status, the type of cancer, the stage of the cancer and the location of the cancer. While there are so many factors, separate evaluations are made even for patients with the same type of cancer mass. Unlike chemotherapy, this treatment, which is performed with radioactive materials, enables the killing of cancer cells and preventing their recurrence by only irradiating the diseased tissue. In chemotherapy, it can be more weary than this method due to the fact that it is taken by medication and spreads to all parts of the body.
Radiotherapy Treatment for Skin Cancer
Radiotherapy treatment can also be applied in the treatment of skin cancer. With this method, high-dose energy beams such as x-rays are used to kill cancer cells. In skin cancer, this treatment is generally recommended after surgery. If there are any diseased cells remaining after the surgical procedure, its use in order to completely remove it provides more efficient results. In some cases, it can be used to alleviate diseased tissues that have spread to other parts of the body.
Cancer Treatment Alternatives
Cancer is one of the most dangerous and deadly diseases to date for which no definitive cure or solution has been found. There are many different treatment options for the destruction, neutralization or slowing of cancer cells in the body during the cancer treatment process. In addition to the current cancer treatment options, studies on new solutions and treatments are still ongoing.
Treatment Alternatives Used According to the Type and Tevelopment of Tancer
- Chemotherapy Treatment: Chemotherapy may be used to treat a number of different types of cancer. It is a drug that is used in patients to kill cancer cells in the body. Chemotherapy affects the whole body and the cells, as it can spread throughout the body as well as to cancerous areas of the body.
- Radiotherapy Treatment: In this procedure, high levels of radiation are applied to cancer cells and tumors in the body, and the goal is to destroy or shrink cancer cells and tumors. Radiation therapy also affects other cells as well as the area of cancer, but its effects are much lower compared to chemotherapy.
- Target Cell Tratment: One of the main objectives of this treatment is to prevent damage to other cells and organs caused by drugs and radiation during the fight against cancer. Treatment is directed to cancer cells in a specific region.
- Immunotherapy: The objective of immunotherapy is to strengthen the immune system by detecting cancerous regions and cells so that patients can fight cancer better and stronger.
- Hormonotherapy: Hormone therapy is applied to individuals with prostate and breast cancer who are unable to undergo treatments such as radiation or surgery. The objective of this treatment is to minimize the pain and the effects of cancer.
Complementary and Supportive Cancer Treatments in Alternative Medicine
It is observed that some alternative medicine practices within the supervision and approval of doctors have positive effects on the treatment of cancer disease. However, this type of treatment must be approved by a specialist doctor before being applied. This type of treatment methods applied unconsciously can seriously endanger health. Some of these treatments are as follows:
- Ozone Therapy
- Reflexology, etc.